Wednesday, July 10, 2013

On the path to Rehab

In my previous post, I mentioned the Aircast walking boot with 5 wedges in it.  This is what it looks like: 


As you can see, the wedges are quite high because my foot is still pointed so far down. The problem with this is: the bottom part of the boot doesn't want to close.  So I've figured out a way around this problem for the time being (see below).


Now that I'm pretty much caught up on what's happened so far, I'm really looking forward to starting this path to rehab.  I know it's going to be an extremely long and sllllooooowwwwww process so I just need to make sure I stay positive and get the encouragement I need through the tough times.  I've already felt bouts of depression hit me where I feel super down about the whole situation and feel like I can't see any light to the end of this terrible tunnel.  I can feel the weight piling on already.  And all the hard work I put into maintaining my physique is going down the drain... which is super discouraging and depressing at times.  My boyfriend keeps reminding me that it won't be hard for me to get back into shape once I'm up and running and I know he's right... but it's hard to see WHEN I'll get to that point where I can work out again.  It seems soooooo far away. 

My surgeon told me that I could actually start swimming...I'm on Day 17 Post-Op (POD17).  But, I'm a little uneasy about getting in the pool yet because the incision is still scabbed and I don't want to risk infection.  So I think I'm going to wait until I can see the incision is fully healed with no scabbing.  I can't wait to get in the pool and get some physical activity going. 

Today, I started doing some light ankle ROM (Range of Motion) exercises.  My awesome boyfriend did a bunch of research and sent me a word document he made with what I should start with. (Who needs PT, when you have him!)  My ROM is awful right now. I can barely move it at all. My toes are in pretty good condition though. I can do the toe curls pretty easily without much pain.  The alphabet doesn't look like I'm writing any letters with my foot AT ALL... but it's day one so I'm sure it'll improve daily.  Up and down & side-to-side ROM is not in great shape either at the moment.  

But at least being able to start the process definitely put me in a better spirit today.  I'm feeling hopeful and today I saw a little, tiny spot flicker at the end of this tunnel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment